Wednesday, October 7, 2015

2015 National League Wild Card

I know it's been about a month since I posted, and things will pick back up around here shortly. Unless the Cubs win tonight.


Tonight, the Cubs are in Pittsburgh to play the Pittsburgh Pirates in a one game playoff to see who gets to square off against the St. Louis Cardinals. And maybe I follow too many Cubs reporters, but I don't see anybody picking the Pirates to win. That makes me a little nervous...

I have seen the Cubs play seven times in person this year. They took three out of four from my local team, the Washington Nationals back in June when the Nats were still a playoff contender. I still have to do a writeup on that series. I saw tonight's starting pitcher, Jake Arrieta shut out the Pirates in Pittsburgh as part of my Epic Cubs Road Trip in August. On that same trip, I saw the Cubs defeat the defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants in Wrigley, back when they were ahead of the Cubs for the second Wild Card spot. Most recently, I ventured back up to Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago and saw the Cubs defeat these same Pirates again.

This year, the Cubs are 6-1 when I see them live.

They are 2-0 in Pittsburgh when I've made the trip.

Jake Arrieta is 2-0 in the two starts I've seen him make.

I kind of have to go, right?

I thought so, too!


I've never been to a postseason baseball game, Cubs or otherwise so I picked up a couple of overpriced Standing Room Only tickets over a week ago when it looked sure that the Wild Card game would be in Pittsburgh. Imagine my surprise/horror/delight when the Cubs ended the season on an 8-game winning streak and nearly brought the game back to Wrigley! As great as it would have been for the Cubs to have home field advantage, Pittsburgh is definitely more convenient! I'm bringing my dad and my older son.

By the time this posts, I'll be halfway to Pittsburgh with high hopes and low expectations. I know I shouldn't get too cocky but this year seems to be all gravy with the way the future looks for this team!

GO CUBS GO!!!!!

2 comments: