Saturday, July 30, 2016

I Was There! 2016 Topps New Era # Andrew McCutchen

Yesterday, I had a post on some Topps New Era cards I picked up. In summary, I bought an auction lot that turned out to be a compete set plus a few dupes. I thought I only wanted the Kyle Schwarber for my Cubs collection and the Joc Pederson for my Ivy collection.

After breaking down the Schwarber card and catching that the photo was from the Postseason, I happened to look closer at the Andrew McCutchen card from the lot when I was cropping the scan.


Sure enough, that's a Postseason patch on McCutchen's sleeve too! Most Cubs and Pirates fans can tell you that the Pirates only played one Postseason game last season, the NL Wild Card Game. And I was there!

I have been to six Cubs games this year, three of which rated a Topps Now card. I'm still working my way through this year's Cubs team set to see if they feature games from last year I attended, but now I realize I have to check their opponents' cards from those days too. At this rate, I'm going to have a binder page full of "I Was there!" cards by the end of the season.

Getty Image #491734982
Notice the "black out" with all the Pirates fans. You can only make out one guy in blue in that whole crowd.
PITTSBURGH, PA - OCTOBER 07: Andrew McCutchen #22 of the Pittsburgh Pirates steps onto the field prior to the National League Wild Card game against the Chicago Cubs at PNC Park on October 7, 2015 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
The caption from the Getty website isn't real specific but McCutchen coming out of the dugout without batting equipment or a glove, I'm guessing this might be from the pre-game introductions. If I knew it was going to be on a card, I'd have paid more attention! The clock in the background reads 7:53 and according to my ticket stub, it was an 8:08 start time.


Next step: Get onto the baseball card! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment