Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother's Day

In honor of the holiday, here are a few things in my collection that have Mother's Day ties.


Technically it was slightly more than two years ago, but two Mother's Days ago, Javier Baez hit a walk-off home run in the 13th inning to bring the team record to a pretty amazing 24-6.


I don't normally chase the parallels limited to fewer than 100 copies but I've made an exception for cards that also fall under the "I Was There" category, such these pink ones.


And this Rizzarper.


And Lackey. All four of these pink parallels are numbered out of 50 and featured plays from games I attended last year.


Ian Happ made his debut on May 13, 2018, the day before Mother's Day last year. The Cubs wore the jerseys with the pink lettering on the Saturday before as well. The first card is his rookie debut card out of 2017 Topps Update. The middle card is from the Salute insert set, also out of 2017 Topps Update and uses a slightly different crop of the same photo. The final card is another Salute insert but from this year's 2018 Topps Series 1.

2 comments:

  1. I had yet to pull a Mother's Day pink parallel until earlier this year when I pulled one of Adam Wainwright. I was able to make a couple bucks by selling it on Sportlots. I'd be down to buy a few someday, but only for the right price. I'm also not a big fan of chasing low numbered parallels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, Golds might be the only parallels over 100 copies in the flagship set, no? A few years ago I was seeking out gold Cubs team sets but now I just wait for them to show up in dime/quarter boxes or trade packages.

      I didn't even realize that the middle Ian Happ is saluting him being a rookie, not Mother's Day. It just happens to be from Mother's day weekend.

      Delete