Thursday, July 11, 2013

Davey Lopes

As I mentioned the other day when I showed off the Ted Lilly ATCRCS card, I managed to snag another Dodger. Although this particular Dodger is currently a coach, first base coach to be exact. Davey Lopes, like Lilly, managed to sign over his name on the card, so while you can kind of make it out in the scan, in person, you can't.

On of the things I liked about the photo I found and used for the card is the "hat under the helmet" technique Lopes is using from before everybody had perfectly fitting helmets (and earflaps). This was also the method I employed growing up.

Almost all of the career achievements Lopes earned were from his pre-Chicago days, although he did notably manage to steal 47 bases for the Cubs during the 1985 campaign, most of them after turning 40. Primarily known as a second baseman, once Lopes came to Chicago, he spent most of his time in the outfield. They Cubs had some other second baseman...future Hall of Famer, Ryne Sandberg. In fact, Lopes played a grand total of 1 inning of his 174 game stint with the Cubs at second base.

This ATCRCS card is the 62nd one I've received signed since I started at the beginning of 2012. The Cubs have used more roster spots than that since I've started this task so I need to pick up the pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment