Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Corey Patterson

Corey Patterson was selected by the Cubs with the #3 overall pick in the 1998 draft. His time with the Cubs organization was during a period where I was not following baseball or the Cubs as closely as I had in the past or do now. But I do remember him being hyped. Every time I pick up a mixed lot of Cubs from the late 90’s/early 00’s, there seems to be a bunch of inserts for him.

I didn’t even realize that Corey Patterson was still active until unclemoe of  My 2008 Topps Set Blog let me know he had signed a minor league deal with the Seattle Mariners and was at extended Spring Training nearby. He offered help in getting the ATCRCS card signed for me but while the card was in the mail, Patterson had moved on to the Tacoma Rainiers, the Triple A affiliate. Thanks for the heads up and offer to help anyway!

Once there, I contacted the guy who helped get a bunch of Cubs when they came through Seattle as he also goes to Rainiers games when he gets a chance. He was able to get this done shortly before Patterson was released.


Patterson signed a minor league deal with the Yankees in June and played 53 games for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. He is currently a free agent.

1 comment: