Friday, July 11, 2014

The Ivy Collection - 2009 Upper Deck #817 Brandon Moss

This has been a semi-regular feature for a little while and I'd like to kinda, sorta unofficially give these posts a home here on Fridays. Some breakdowns will be a little more in depth depending on the amount of information I can find.

Today's card came as part of a package from JediJeff of 2x3 Heroes fame a few weeks back.

2009 Upper Deck #817 Brandon Moss
Does anybody else miss cards numbered in the 7, 8 & 9 hundreds?

Anyway, on July 31, 2008, Brandon Moss was involved in a three-team trade that moved him from the Red Sox to the Pirates. That trade though is probably more well known for sending Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox to the Dodgers.

His first series with the Pirates? The Cubs at Wrigley Field, which ran from August 1-3. All three were day games, so the fact that Moss is wearing sunglasses doesn't really help narrow things down. Quick Getty Images and AP Images searches show that the Pirates apparently wore those jerseys all three games, but I didn't see anything remotely close to this photo. That means, unfortunately, that's as definitive as I can get here.

On a speculative side though...

There's no break in the ivy to give me any indication where exactly in the outfield Moss is playing. My first instinct on the picture was that he was playing right field, which he only did during the August 1st game (Cubs lost). I'm not sure why I think that though as he could easily be playing left field where he was the other two games (Cubs won both). 

I took at look at all of the box scores and there's just too many opportunities for Moss. He had multiple putouts in each game, but we can't even tell for sure this was an out. There were a couple of hits listed as shallow line drives that went his way. There was also at least one "shallow double" that he could have dove for and come up short. Too hard to tell.


Usually, I like it better when a different photo is used on the back but I'll let this one slide since it repeats the ivy picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment