Friday, March 9, 2018

Ivy Frankenset Page 1 (Redux)

As most of you know, some of the only non-Cubs cards that enter my collection are in a niche collection that feature Wrigley Field's iconic Ivy in the background. I'm nearing 500 unique cards and have enough in my various online store carts to push me over that milestone at any time. While I will continue to add any and every card I can find that meet the qualifications, a select few will earn their spot in a binder as part of my Ivy Frankenset.

I know it's a little anticlimactic since you have seen all of these cards in the past few weeks as I discussed each one individually. Going forward I might present those breakdown posts a little differently so as not to ruin any surprises. As I did in the original Page 1 post, I will also be posting a few statistics for tracking purposes. I'm trying to get as diverse as possible with the set so tracking which players/teams/set have been used is helpful to me.

Here are my updated eligibility "rules" since I went hogwild and pretty much eliminated the need for Cubs fillers.

#1 - The card must show the Wrigley Field Ivy somewhere in the background. Early season, leafless vines will count if nothing better is available.

#2 - Ivy on card backs (think early Upper Deck) is acceptable, but front trumps back.

#3 - Inserts/Traded/Update sets that use letters as well as numbers are acceptable. The number portion is what will be used.

#4 - I would like to minimize the duplication of players and sets overall so sometimes an obscure player or set will get the nod over bigger names.

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me, but they are my rules so let's get to the page.


1. 1997 Topps Stadium Club #1 Chipper Jones
2. 1981 Donruss #2 Rollie Fingers
3. 2003 Fleer Focus Jersey Edition #3 Trevor Hoffman
4. 2016 Topps New Era #4 Joc Pederson
5. 2011 Topps Marquee #5 Ozzie Smith
6. 2008 Upper Deck Timeline #6 Hanley Ramirez
7. 1988 Fleer Baseball MVP #7 Vince Coleman
8. 1991 Leaf #8 Dave Martinez
9. 1989 Upper Deck #9 Gregg Jefferies

I'm off to a very diverse start. All different players, sets, brands and years. A few duplicate teams but duplicates were going to happen there anyway. Here are the stats I'll be tracking:

Now on to the nerdy record keeping portion of the set. More stats will be added as the set grows. This if for this page. On the post for the next page, I will do that page plus set overall. I will also add trackers for total number of cards for each players and set once I get into duplicates.

Total cards - 9
Total Different Players - 9
Total Different Teams - 7
Hall of Famers - 4 (Counting Chipper and Hoffman early)
Positions depicted on the cards
     Outfield - 3
     Pitcher - 2
     Shortstop - 2
     3rd Base - 1
     SS/3B - 1
Different Years Represented - 9
Different Brands* Represented - 9 
Different Sets** Represented - 9
Duplicate Cards Not Used - 6

* For the purposes of this frankenset, Topps (and their parallels), Opening Day, Stadium Club, Archives, Heritage etc represent their own brands even though the are all made by Topps. The same will be true for all of the other card companies as well.

** For the purposes of this frankenset, brands from different years represent different sets. So 1991 Topps is different from 1992 Topps.


As mentioned, there were 6 cards that did not make the cut for the Frankenset. 





1996 Topps Gallery #1 Tom Glavine
1991 Score Rookies #5 Omar Olivares
2001 Topps Post #5 Greg Maddux
1990 Score 100 Superstars #6 Ozzie Smith
1988 Fleer League Leaders #7 Vince Coleman
1987 Fleer #9 Dwight Gooden

All of these players have been or will be represented later in the set. There are no other cards from the 1996 Topps Gallery or 2001 Topps Post sets that I know of, but the brands show up later. I think.


1 comment:

  1. I'm still sorting all of the cards from The Collection. Sooner or later (probably later) I'll get to the point where I'll separate cards for specific bloggers. I'll make sure I pull all the ivy cards I come across.

    ReplyDelete