Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Ivy Frankenset Page 2 Contestants

I'm going to switch up the way I've been showing off the Ivy collection. Individual card posts weren't generating much buzz, so let's try something new. I have 15 cards vying for a spot in the official Frankenset. I'll show them all off here today and then do a formal Page 2 post with the winners in a few days/weeks when the post has had a chance to marinate a bit.

#10


#11


#12


#13


#14


#15


#16


#17


#18


Just a reminder, I take a lot of things into consideration for what makes the Frankenset. Diversity is key as I'm looking for a good mixture of players, teams, sets and brands.

Some numbers have matchups, some don't. When I first started collecting Ivy cards, I wasn't looking for duplicate numbers. Once I found one, I moved on. Now, I'm looking for the best card at each number so these early numbers are something that need to be revisited.

After being snubbed for the #9 slot on Page 1, Dwight Gooden is bringing the heat with 3 cards to make it on Page 2, even challenging himself for the #14 spot.

Stay tuned for the final cut down to 9!

2 comments:

  1. I admire your collecting fortitude. I gave up collecting ivy cards because it's astonishing just how many photos are shot at Wrigley! That's a nice batch of ivy up there. Zip has a Gooden PC, so I wouldn't have to consider those cards... I think I would go with the Stargell card. That's a cool date stamp on history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one the things I like about this collection. With no checklist to work from, I'm stumbling across cards from oddball sets all the time. I can be as passive as I want with it.

      The thing Stargell has going against him is that I just used 1981 Donruss on Page 1. But this is Pops' only representation and I *think* Larkin shows up later. We'll see!

      Delete