Saturday, April 14, 2018

Two More Not-So-Random Rynos

In this weekly series, I show off two random Ryne Sandberg cards from my 600+ card PC. One will be from his playing days (pre-1998) and one since his retirement (1998-present).

Normally these cards are random, but I went to a card show last weekend and managed to find nine Rynos that were new to the PC.

Playing Days:



I knew I didn't have this card because I would have recognized the wavy die-cut instantly. It's hard to tell from the scan but in the upper right of the card it says "Memorable Moments" which is the name of this insert set out of 1997 Upper Deck Collector's Choice. Series 1 & 2 each had a 10-card version, with this one coming out of the latter.

The lower left corner has his name in the unreadable gold. The "memorable moment" referred to on the card is when Sandberg passed Joe Morgan for most home runs by a second baseman.

Post Retirement:
 

I don't know much about newer Panini Donruss products aside from the fact I don't have much. The unlicensed stuff just doesn't draw me in. But as a player collector, I'll add Sandbergs as I see them. The card above is from the 2017 Optic product, an insert set called Masters of the Game. It is a 15-card set and Sandberg is the only Cubs representative. Greg Maddux shows up for the Braves though.

The speckles in the scan are actually, for once, not the result of a dirty scanner.

7 comments:

  1. "I don't know much about newer Panini Donruss products aside from the fact I don't have much"

    You already know too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shuffled through some 2018 at the show and....eh.

      Delete
  2. Part of me wants to like that Optic card. And then part of me feels is reacting the same way Ryno's face looks on the card. UD sure got their mileage out of that wave die-cut style - I think it popped up in sets for years in the mid 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it credit for looking better in person than the scan but logos would definitely go a long way.

      That die-cut stuff must have shown up right as I was leaving the hobby as a high schooler.

      Delete
  3. Boy, that Ryno card might as well be a drawing with the photoshopping and other effects on it. I'm sure the blue parallel will look nice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I knew I didn't have this card because I would have recognized the wavy die-cut instantly." That's the way I was with ALL of my Ryno cards when I was in middle school. I had 700+ back then, but had the fronts all memorized. I would always know when I had found a new one at first glance.
    These days I really struggle with all the post-retirement cards... the mind isn't what it used to be. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And so many of the post retirement cards reuse photos so it's tough to remember if I have that one, or just a similar looking one.

      Delete