Tuesday, May 3, 2016

ATCRCS - Tom Gordon

Even though I was away from blogging, I was still attempting to acquire more signed ATCRCS cards when opportunities presented themselves. I picked up close to 30 in 2015 so I better start showing them off.




Tom Gordon would likely be inducted into my Hall of Pretty Good. He was the American League Rookie of the Year runner-up in 1989 when he went 17-9 with a 3.64 ERA. He was a 3x All-Star with 3 different teams (Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies). In 1998, his first season as a full time reliever, he saved 46 games in 47 opportunities.

He played for both Chicago teams, both New York teams and Philly. Are there any tougher places to play than those in terms of media/fan scrutiny? Unfortunately, he didn't get a chance for much postseason glory and never appeared in a World Series.

After missing the 2000 season because of Tommy John surgery, the Cubs signed him as a free agent. In about a season and a half, Gordon appeared in 66 games and posted 2-3 record with 27 Saves and a 3.39 ERA.

Some of you Stephen King fans may recognize Gordon's name from the title of one his books, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. That one's been in my reading queue for ages but I've never gotten around to reading it.

Others may only recognize him as "Dee Gordon's dad" who has been in the news recently for some unfortunate news. I knew I was getting older when I made the transition to being referred to as my kids' dad rather than my own identity, haha.

Gordon has another son, Nick who was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in 2014 and is in their minor league system.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pick up! Flash Gordon also had one of the coolest nicknames in Cubs history.

    ReplyDelete