Monday, June 27, 2016

More Topps Now

Just a quick post today, showing off my newest pickups from the Topps Now collection. The Cubs are on a bad run recently so getting these in the mail was a nice reminder that this is just a phase and the Cubs are good.

Card #129, Print Run: 1278
Following the win on June 6, the Cubs sat at a record of 40-16, becoming the fastest team to 40 Wins since the 2001 Mariners. Since then, they have gone 8-10 to fall way off any record setting pace. They still have the best winning percentage in the Majors but two teams have surpassed their win total of 48. The Giants and the Rangers both have 49.


This was the first dual-sided card issued in the Topps Now set. Until this card, the backs had a blurb about whatever feat was briefly noted on the front caption. This format makes sense for card depicting a team achievement but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the execution. I'd have to double check but I think this might also be the first card that features photos of current players from different games (some career milestone cards have featured the player being passed). I smell a deeper breakdown coming to find out how many different games are shown. At least two, based on the uniforms.

Card #136, Print Run: 766

We Cubs fans have been able to rationalize and come up with all kinds of curses excuses over the years. The dip in production over the past three weeks or so is being blamed on a combination of the injury bug and because of some early season weather situations, playing a stretch of 24 games in 24 days leading up to the All-Star game. But at the same time, their young guys are stepping up.


I don't know that I would have given Albert Almora Jr. a Topps Now card for his first MLB start performance. A few times since then maybe, but not this one. If it was any other player on any other team in any other game, it would have been a blip on the box score. And the photo they went with is a little odd to boot.

I can think of a half dozen moments more deserving of a Topps Now card that have been overlooked but this isn't the only questionable rookie inclusion. I'm looking at you Julio Urias.

These two cards mark #8 & #9 into my Topps Now Cubs team set, with two more on the way. The tab at the top is updated with front and back photos of all of them, a checklist and their print runs.

2 comments:

  1. First Dual-Sided card? Topps... SMH... anything for the money grab. (That being said, I do like the card!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have them for my collection but I'm much more excited about the next two that are coming!

      Delete