Monday, September 23, 2013

Julio Borbon


So this was bound to happen eventually with the more of these cards that I get signed but I swear this is completely random that these are all coming back at once. And what am I talking about? Last week I showed two former Cubs, Howard Johnson and Mick Kelleher who both signed their jersey #20 along with their autograph.

As you can see on the card above, Julio Borbon did not, however, he is clearly wearing the number 20. And after taking a look at Cubs by the Numbers, I realized that Borbon was my 7th former Cub in my signed ATCRCS collection to have worn number 20. Along with Ho-Jo and Kelleher, I also already have Jerome Walton, Oscar Gamble, Al Spangler, Adolfo Phillips. Not only that, but there are still two more that I have in my possession but haven't showcased yet. I guess I know which two will be next...

Back to the subject at hand, Julio Borbon joined the Cubs back in April after the selected him off of waivers from the Texas Rangers. Some of you may remember I had a fun interaction with him when the Cubs came to play the Nats back in May when trying to get autographs. When he came over to the crowd, he asked why nobody had any Cubs cards of him yet (he had been with the team all of about 3 weeks at the time). I whipped out my brand spanking new 2013 Team Set card, which he signed:



But the ATCRCS at the top of the page was signed with a little help from an SCN member before Borbon got overly agressive on the basepaths and was thrown out trying to take third on a passed ball that didn't get as far away from the catcher as he would have liked. He was DFA'd after the game to set an example by the management for sloppy play. This took him off of the 40-Man roster and nobody else took a flyer on him, so Borbon spent the rest of the season with the Triple-A Iowa Cubs. I didn't see Borbon on any of the prelimnary 2013 Topps Update checklists so I'm not sure Borbon will even get any "official" Cubs cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment