Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chris Volstad

First off, I'd like to thank everybody for the support I've received, both in the loss of my beloved dog, Hope and in my newest endeavor, the 2014 Topps Blog. Although I've never met any of you, this is a wonderful community.

I've got about 30 signed ATCRCS cards from 2013 that didn't end up getting a post so I'm going to try to catch up with these without boring you guys to death.


Chris Volstad is a former first round draft pick (2005) of the Florida Marlins. He was traded to the Cubs for Carlos Zambrano, who had worn out his welcome in Chicago, prior to the 2012 season. He started 21 games for the Cubs that year and had numbers consistent with the teams horrible record. He went 3-12 with a 6.30 ERA. In fact, the Cubs lost his first 9 decisions and Volstad didn't pick up a win until his 14 start. In his 12 losses, the Cubs was were shutout once and held to one run six times. Tough to get the win with that kind of run support, no matter who you are.

Volstad was claimed off waivers following the season by the Kansas City Royals but DFA'd the next month. He then signed on with the Rockies for 2013, where he spent most of the season with their Triple A affiliate, the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. With a little help from an SCN member, I was able to knock out another Cubs short timer on both the ATCRCS card above and the 2012 custom card set below.


He signed a minor league deal with the Angels in November but is currently listed as a pitcher with the Doosan Bears of the Korean Baseball Organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment