Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sandberg Sunday

It's been a loooooong time since I did a Sandberg Sunday post. But to be honest, its been a looooooong time since I added anything new for my Ryne Sandberg collection. Eventually I'm going to start adding my Sandberg PC to Zistle but that'll be a serious undertaking.

I did pick up two new (pretty sure they're new) cards at the card show last weekend but I already showed them off in one of my recaps this week.

So instead of showing off a new Cubs Ryno card, I have the newest card in my collection, a Phillies Ryno card.

2014 Topps Heritage #57 Ryne Sandberg

Sandberg doesn't look too thrilled about it either if I do say so myself, haha. He started the season as the third base coach but took over as interim manager on August 16, 2013 after the Phillies fired Charlie Manuel.

According to the Getty Images caption for the photo used on the card, it's from that first game as the Phillies skipper.

Photo by Drew Hallowell (courtesy of Getty Images)
PHILADELPHIA, PA - AUGUST 16: Manager Ryne Sandberg #23 of the Philadelphia Phillies stands in the dugout before the game against at Los Angeles Dodgers Citizens Bank Park on August 16, 2013 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Drew Hallowell/Getty Images)

The blurb on the back sounds good....as long as you trust Topps' fact checkers. Sandberg, in fact, lost his first two games as manager of the Phillies before reeling off two wins, five of his next six and seven of nine. As much as I wish Sandberg continued success, I also like facts on my baseball cards.

Phillies first 15 games under Ryne Sandberg
And if you've missed my 2014 Topps breakdowns on my other blog, don't worry, I'll be back to those this week. I've had some stuff going on and since that one is the more research intensive of the two blogs, that's the one that has suffered over the last 10 days or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment