Thursday, June 2, 2016

2016 Topps Archives Desert Shield

One of my semi-regular eBay searches involves searching for cards I'm missing from the 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cubs team set. Imagine my surprise when that search yielded some 2016 versions out of the newly released Topps Archives set.

Borrowed from eBay

This Carl Edwards is the first I had heard of the set when I stumbled across the ebay listing (and waaaaay out of my price range). But after a quick search, I found an article and full checklist over at Beckett.


The Cubs are represented four times in the 100 card checklist with Edwards, Jake Arrieta, Anthony Rizzo and Hector Rondon.


Regardless about how I feel about a little 25th anniversary exploitation, the prices are going to have to come down quite a bit for me to think about adding these to my collection. And that's a shame because I don't think that was the intent behind the original set.

Also borrowed from eBay
Somebody also pulled the trigger on this Hector Rondon. It was listed for $39 but a Best Offer of $20 was accepted.

It's taken me 25 years to add 27/32 from the original set so I'm in no rush to build this 4 card team set. I will inadvertently be keeping an eye on this set though because they will inevitably show up in my searches as that Edwards card already did. Hopefully as more surface, the prices will be a little more reasonable.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! The iron is hot now, but wait a while and they'll come down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping for! Thankful for no Bryant or Schwarber but doubt I would spend even $20 on a Rendon or Edwards.

      Delete
    2. im building the 2016 desert shield set and scooped up the rondon for $20 you mentioned above. the issue is these are 1:over 300 packs so about 1 every 1.5 cases which is insane! so even the lesser known players are still commanding roughly $20-$35. prices are listed way high all over ebay. I've been able to talk people down on the lesser players. forked over a lot for chipper and ichiro. I think conforto, correa, and seager will be tough as one conforto sold for $150, one correa for over $200, and one seager for $300. yikes!

      Delete