Monday, May 29, 2017

2016 Topps Archives Desert Shield Cubs Team Set (Almost)

Followers of the blog know that I am attempting to collect a signed version of the 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cubs team set. I had a pack's worth as a kid that I had to split with my older brother and no Cubs. Twenty plus years later when I came back to the hobby, I stumbled across a common for a couple of bucks and picked it up without hesitation. Fast forward a couple of years and I am only missing one unsigned card from the set and have gotten 9 of the 32 cards signed already.

The missing card is out there, but it's almost like finishing a really good book. I don't necessarily want it to end. I know, I know, the chase for getting them autographed is still there but....

Last year, I didn't pick up too many non-Topps Now cards. When Topps released the Desert Shield parallels through Archives though, it caught my attention. The prices on these remain pretty high but I have picked up what I think to be reasonable deals on three of them. Though my team set isn't complete, I thought today, Memorial Day, would be a good day to post them.


None of these are currently on eBay or have recent sold histories which seems crazy to me. How rare were these?!

The Cubs have a fourth player in the set, Anthony Rizzo. Unfortunately, his card is just as rare and is the star power for the Cubs here. Thank goodness no Bryant or Schwarber! I've only seen 3 Rizzos on eBay since the set release. The first two went for around $100 early on and then nothing for months. A few weeks ago one popped up that was graded a BGS 9.5 and sold for $171.

Way out of my league!

None of these three have been autographed and at their unsigned values, I'm not sure I will try. Most of the originals from 1991 in great condition can be had for a few bucks. Maybe these will eventually come down in price?

I haven't participated in the 30 Day Card Challenge that's been circulating for a few weeks...yet. But one of the writing prompts was a card that reminds you of a family member. And that would be the original 1991 Desert Shield cards and my dad. From 1989-1992, we were stationed in Germany but he was gone for weeks and months at a time in the Middle East during this period. Despite being the junk wax era, cards weren't as easy to get overseas but he made sure my brothers and I got our fix when he was home, taking us to card shows on nearby bases and bringing home that one pack of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards to split. Thanks, Dad.

Thankfully, he's still with us but here's to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

1 comment:

  1. The Desert Shield cards from last year where something I didn't know about until recently. The originals would be more fun to chase down, which I'm sure you can attest to.

    ReplyDelete