Saturday, January 6, 2018

IVY: 1997 Topps Stadium Club #1 Chipper Jones

I have almost 500 cards in the Ivy collection and need to whittle down some of the numbers where I have duplicates for the Frankenset. I want to make sure each card gets its due so I've decided that over the course of a month or so, I will sprinkle in individual posts. When I have exhausted what I have for each binder page, I'll post which ones made the cut. Once I have a full page, I'll add a tab up top where you can view each page. I have multiple representatives for many of the first 99 numbers (11 full pages) which should get me through all of 2017.

I have two cards for the #1 slot which means a decision will have to be made. I already talked about the Tom Glavine card when I posted the original Page 1 about a year and a half ago. That leaves its challenger, 1997 Topps Stadium Club #1 Chipper Jones.


By 1997, I had moved on from the collecting baseball cards so this card was new to me. The idea of Chipper Jones as a shortstop was completely foreign to me. Did I know this? If I did, it was long since forgotten. If this was a one-off appearance at the position, maybe it'll be easier to track down the game?

From the photo used on the card, I'm looking for a play in 1996 where Chipper Jones was the shortstop in the middle of a double play or fielder's choice, and the advancing runner was either African American or possibly Hispanic. Unfortunately, we don't get part of the jersey number or last name.

Let's see what I can find out.

First thing is to head over to Chipper Jones' Baseball Reference Page.


Scrolling down to Fielding Statistics, I can see he only played 49 games at shortstop in his career. Cool maybe this won't be so hard!


Then I went into the Fielding Gamelog for 1996 and see 7 of those 49 games at shortstop came against the Cubs, four of which were at Wrigley. Looks like they had a 4-game series, including a doubleheader.

In game 1 on August 30, the Braves turned two double plays and did not induce any fielder's choices.


In the bottom of the first, Mark Grace grounded out to the second baseman, Mark Lemke, who fed it to Chipper and forced out Ozzie Timmons at second. That fits all of my criteria. This will be either really easy or I'll have to make a tough call.

For the other double play in this game, in the bottom of the fifth, Ozzie Timmons was at bat with Brian McRae at first. This time however, it was hit to Chipper who started the double play and I'm fairly certain that Chipper is receiving the toss in this photo. Cubs would win this game 3-2

In game 2, the only double play of the game was hit into by the Braves and there were no fielder's choices either. Cubs lost 6-5.

Cruising right along here!

The next day, August 31, 1996 was a 12-0 blowout by the Cubs. A lot of runs probably meant a lot of baserunners, which could also mean a lot of double play opportunities.

Surprisingly, the Cubs successfully dodged any double plays but the Braves did induce two Fielder's Choice forceouts.

In the bottom of the sixth, Ryne Sandberg grounded to Chipper with the bases loaded for a force out at second so not this play. The other opportunity came an inning later in another bases loaded situation. This time however, the force out was at home.

Just one more game to go!

To take the series, the Cubs outlasted the Braves 2-1 with a 12th inning walk off single by Sandberg. Actually, the infield single would have just loaded the bases. It was a throwing error by the second baseman that allowed Luis Gonzalez to score. But I digress. What about the card???

The Braves turned two double plays in the game. Both appear to be 4-6-3 double plays, however the runners attempting to advance to second base were Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace, both Caucasian players. There were no other force outs at second.

It's a little anticlimactic when I find what I'm looking for right off the bat but also exciting when I can say with a 99.9% certainty I found the play on a photo that's older than the easily trackable Getty source photos.

This a pretty good card, but it's not a guarantee to make the Frankenset. As I mentioned, the competition and incumbent of the #1 spot is Hall of Fame teammate, Tom Glavine. I'll have to look and see if I have any other cards from either set represented or if either player could possibly be slotted in at a later card number.


Although, to make things tougher on Glavine, the backside of this one has a pretty sweet gum bubble.


While Chipper is certainly a lock as a first ballot Hall of Famer, it is a good thing he didn't have to make a large part of his living in Wrigley Field. The Friendly Confines were not too kind and makes him look rather pedestrian.

No comments:

Post a Comment