Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Undercover Cubs - Dan Vogelbach


Last week after discussing some of the photoshopped Dexter Fowler cards from 2017, I promised one more. Just when everybody thought P-Town Tom had the market cornered on Dan Vogelbach posts...


Way back in November, Tom was barely into his Vogelbach writeups. He mentioned that he was a little underwhelmed with the photo selection. Curious, I headed over to the Getty Images website where Topps has been getting their photos for the past several years to see if there were any better options.

Even though he was a mid-season trade in 2016 and later a September call-up, I thought there would be a few to choose from. A search of "Vogelbach 2016" only yielded 23 results, including a few Spring Training shots with the Cubs. I guess it was kind of slim pickings. But a little surprisingly, the one used on the card was not among them.

Taking "2016" out of the equation and just searching his last name returned 82 photos, most from 2017. Sorting oldest-newest produced this image near the top:


Dated March 7, 2014, this photo was a Spring Training shot from 3 years prior. I've heard of Topps using older photos in the 50's and 60's but in this day and age, there probably aren't too many cards like this. I guess Topps really, really, really wanted Vogelbach in Stadium Club.

I'm not real familiar with Mariners uniforms but the photoshop job passed my initial viewing. On second glance, its a little more noticeable but overall the attention to detail was pretty good. In addition to logo and color swaps, Topps removed pinstripes, added piping, changed a sleeve patch, added a sleeve patch and even added a Nike swoosh on the undershirt. Not to mention the helmet on the bench beside him.


However, the smaller photo used on the back was one of the 23 photos from 2016. And it was even a Mariners one!


Another dugout shot, this one comes from September 17, 2016 prior to a game against the Astros in which he did not play.

So thanks Tom, for bringing this card to my attention. I may have only added this card as a throw in on a Sportlots purchase to maximize shipping, but Vogelbach has infiltrated my collection as an Undercover Cub.

1 comment:

  1. Nice undercover work there. I didn't originally know it was a photoshop job, but I had my suspicions.

    ReplyDelete