Thursday, October 31, 2013

2013 Topps Update Scott Hairston

Back-to-back Scott Hairston posts. Don't worry, there's a method to the madness.

Yesterday, I showed off my Hairston ATCRCS card, but I'm still trying to figure out which Series 2 Cubs cards I need to break down before I get to the Update cards. When I came across another card from my parallel pickup the other day, I knew I wanted to look into it as well.

You got Hairston's history with the team yesterday, so today, let's just look at the card.


These red teams look pretty good framed in the Wal-Mart blue. I would have preferred Hairston zoomed out just a smidge more to get some of the bat in there, rather than cut off part of his hands, but otherwise nice selection on the photo.

I like how it appears that the older fan underneath Hairston's left elbow looks like he's wearing a Smurf hat.

I'm no expert on the Nationals uniforms but I think it looks pretty good. And I say that because this is actually Hairston's Halloween costume....
 

Photo by Scott Cunningham (courtesy of Getty Images)

It started off as a Cubs uniform! I'm a little dissapointed to not get a Hairston Cubs card when it was very possible (more on that when I eventually get to the Update Cubs). No Series 1 (set released before Hairston signed), no Factory Team set (probably same issue), no Series 2 (best option) and now, no Update.

So how about the game? If Hairston was a Cub, it had to have been fairly early in the season since he was traded in early July. The Cubs were still in it back then, right?

The caption on Getty Images dates the photo back to April 7, 2013 in a game against the Atlanta Braves. A quick search on Baseball Reference gives me the boxscore.


Scrolling down and it looks like Hairston pinch hit for a pinch hitter. Say what?

Well with two outs in the top of the 7th, Braves starter Tim Hudson walked third baseman Luis Valbuena. The next batter, second baseman Alberto Gonzalez (remember when Darwin Barney was hurt at the beginning of the year?) popped up to his Braves counterpart but it resulted in an E4.

Now with runners on 2nd and 3rd, Steve Clevenger is announced as a pinch hitter for Cubs relief pitcher, Michael Bowden. The Braves make a move on their end, relieving Tim Hudson with Luis Avilan. The Cubs pull Clevenger back and send in Scott Hairston instead.

Hairston proceeded to hit a ground ball to third baseman Juan Francisco who threw to second to get the force out and end the inning. With a 2-0 count and no other at bats in the game, this photo appears to have been taken during that ground ball.

The Cubs would lose the game 5-1 and drop to 2-4 on the young season.

I forgot how fun these were to do. I can't wait to dive into the rest of the actual Cubs cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment