Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Scott Hairston


Scott Hairston became the fifth of baseball playing Hairstons to play for a Chicago team when he signed with the Cubs as a free agent in February and made the team out of Spring Training. He joins his brother, Jerry Jr and uncle, John as North Siders, while father, Jerry Sr. and grandfather Sam were South Siders. Amongst them, they played for 14 different teams. Or you know, one more than Octavio Dotel did by himself.

Scott played the role of fourth outfielder for the Cubs, starting about half of his 52 games played, while coming off the bench the other half. He was one of sixteen players on the Cubs that played in more than 50 games. I haven't compared that with other teams but even with a team record 56 players used over the course of the season, that seems crazy high.

He was traded to the Washington Nationals in early July for a minor league pitcher and a player to be named later. The minor league pitcher was Ivan Pineyro, who went 3-1 with a 3.40 ERA in 8 starts for the Daytona Cubs (High Single-A) after the trade. As far as I can tell, the player to be named later hasn't been named.

Just like I knew you wanted more Keith Moreland last week, come back tomorrow as I have a followup on Hairston!

This card was signed as part of the large group that I sent out to Seattle when the Cubs visited the Mariners in late June. Had I known he would come play for the local MLB team, I probably would have held on to it and tried to get it done myself. He was more than accomodating when the Cubs came through DC to play the Nats in May and I got my 2013 team set card signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment