Tuesday, May 1, 2018

2018 Topps Now Road to Opening Day Cubs Team Set

I missed Mailday Monday yesterday because I actually got shutout last week at the mailbox. Two packages I was expecting on Saturday were postponed for some reason and showed up yesterday instead. One was a 150 card order from Cardbarrel (formerly Justcommons) which is going to take some time to go through. The other package was my team set from the Topps Now Road to Opening Day line.

I might kick myself later but I refrained from picking up the autograph edition. The Cubs have been on a roll lately and if they can keep the momentum, there is a bonus card if they are in first place at the All-Star break, among other things.

Like last year, the full checklist took a while to come out but I'm pretty happy with the selection. Four starting pitchers, the main eight from the starting lineup, two mega utility guys who get playing time and one from the bullpen, though not the new closer.











The Anthony Rizzo is probably my favorite card, looks like a beautiful day for baseball! I do like the green hats from St. Patrick's Day on the Addison Russell and Jason Heyward cards. Jon Lester and Carl Edwards Jr are sporting the MSD patch.


I mentioned before when I received card #1 from the regular season issues that I like the backs this year. Very streamlined and easy to read, though the font for the blurb could be a bit bigger. The biggest drawback though...



...is that aside from the player name, position and card number, they backs are all the same. Same blurb on all fifteen cards. Oh well!

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Yu already had a Cubs card on the market - I wonder if anyone is selling singles... Not a bad looking set, overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is actually his second because, of course, he had a press conference Now card as well from right after he signed. I do have extras of that one if you want.

      Delete
  2. All that wasted space on the back... I wish they would enlarge the font. No, I don't need glasses... I just don't like the unused space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. got some cubbies for you, email me your address

    ReplyDelete
  4. So weird having Darvish wearing shorts on his card! The backs are pretty lousy given the price. Either make the font bigger or put in more info, preferably about that player.

    ReplyDelete