Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ATCRCS - Fergie Jenkins

Like Don Kessinger from yesterday's post, Ferguson "Fergie" Jenkins was a player whose prime was before my time. I caught the very end of his career in his second stint with Chicago and I do remember having some of his baseball cards as a kid in the early 1980's and not wanting his Rangers cards. And of course, later as part of the coaching staff.

Jenkins was also not one of the players I had trouble with when looking to write the blurb. In fact, it was quite the opposite as I had to decide which facts and figures to include. I was able to include most of his major accomplishments and awards but omitted was the fact that he struck out 6 batters over 3 innings in the 1967 All-Star Game, including fellow Hall of Famers Harmon Killebrew, Mickey Mantle and  Rod Carew. He was the first pitcher to retire with more than 3000 strikeouts (3192) while allowing less than 1000 walks (997). That feat has since been matched by Greg Maddux, Curt Schilling and Pedro Martinez. I could go on and on but without further ado, here are the front and back sides of my custom card.


1 comment:

  1. What's remarkable about Fergie Jenkins was his durability and the amount of quality innings he pitched over his career.

    I wonder what he thinks about the current pitch counts on pitchers? lol

    ReplyDelete