Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bob Anderson


Sorry for the lack of posts the past few days but whatever sickness my kids had finally made its way to me over the holiday weekend. Isn't that how it always goes? Oh, long weekend? Gonna relax a little? Nope, body revolts. I managed to do a little blog reading and leave some comments with my phone but couldn't really muster the effort to get my actual computer.

Anyway, I recently sent in some of my ATCRCS cards to a fundraiser/private signing event held by another collector on SCN. There were probably 20-25 total players there and four of them were former Cubs. All of them are pretty good TTM signers but the prices were very reasonable and the money went to a good cause so I think it was a win/win. Don't worry, I won't hit you with them all at once like I did with my Tony Campanas.


Like most athletes from before my time, Bob Anderson has a nice, long, fairly legible signature. If I came across this signature on a blank index card and didn't know anything about Bob Anderson, I would probably guess that was the person's name. Can you miss the good ol' days if you weren't actually there?

I made this card around this time last year for the same event but missed the deadline. I meant to send them as a TTM request instead but never got around to it. So when I saw he woud be at the event again, I made sure to sent this one in with the other Cubs. Anderson played for some pretty bad Cubs teams in the late 1950's and early 1960's. There wasn't a whole lot of biographical information to go on so I remember this being one of the first blurbs where I had to really dig into the boxscores and find some nuggets. Although his wiki entry has a story about a wacky play, it was much too detailed to include as a blurb. I would bet that it was written up as one of those "You Make the Call" type columns that used to be in Baseball Digest or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment