Monday, January 28, 2013

Get Well Repack Box


When I was sick last weekend, my wife tried to cheer me up with a repack box.

It worked.

Not that I pulled anything great, but ripping packs is always a good time. It was from the same Five Below store as my last one and the same style (4 unopened packs + 100 random cards) although this time I got two of the 2008 First Edition Update packs from Upper Deck. (Last time it was 1 regular and 1 Update.)


The best thing out of the 5 card pack of Fleer Ultra was this Justin Morneau Feel the Game insert. Not a relic though so not sure how I'm supposed to feel the game...


In the first Update pack, I pulled another Johnny Cueto RC but the guaranteed Starquest card this time was BJ Upton.


And from the other pack, I pulled former Cub Cliff Floyd, future Hall of Famer Randy Johnson and an Ichiro Starquest. I really like the photography on the Randy Johnson card too. Looks like a comebacker that only a  6'10" pitcher could snag.



Again, the 1989 Jumbo pack brought back some memories. Twenty plus years laters, I could probably cover the names and tell you who each and every player was.

This pack's Rookie was David Wells. Normally, I would blame my scanner, but this card actually was dirty at the top.


A record breaker, an All-Star Hall of Famer and a base Hall of Famer. I miss Record Breaker and All-Star cards in the following year's set. The "3rd" Series (whatever they call it these days (Traded, Updates & Highlights etc) should have remained rookies and traded players. We're probably due for a Turn Back the Clock subset or something.


A current (at the time) Cub in Argenis Salazar, future (at the time) Cubs in Luis Salazar and Willie Wilson and a #1 Draft Pick Gregg Olson. My brother was an Orioles fan growing up and in 1989, if I pulled this card I was obligated to give it to him. In return, I was given any Future Star Mike Harkey cards he managed to pull. 


On to the random 100 cards. Oldest card in the box was this 1981 Topps Alan Bannister. 


Lots of future and former Cubs in this box but not quite as many current Cubs. I'm pretty sure the O-Pee-Chee Danny Jackson is new to me, though the Dascenzo and Sutcliffe are dupes.


 

Future Cub Terry Francona, former AND future Cub Steve Lake


All future Cubs with the exception of Campbell who played for them in 1982 and 1983.


Former Cub with a sweet 'stache Tim Stoddard, future Cubs manager Jim Lefebvre and current assistant hitting coach Rob Deer. He joins former Brewers teammates Dale Sveum and Chris Bosio on the Cubs coaching staff for 2013.


A couple of Hall of Famers from the Topps UK Minis series to go along with the Sutlcliffe I showed above. I probably picked up my Cubs versions at card shows but I have no idea how these were packaged and released originally. 



Like the last batch, I will probably sort these by team and use them to fill trade packages. Only keeping the actual Cubs cards. Again, not too shabby for $5 and since it didn't come out of my card money, even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment