Sunday, January 13, 2013

Curt Wilkerson - 1991 Topps Desert Shield

Moving right along on the collecting resolution! I picked up another Desert Shield Cubs card in the form of this Curt Wilkerson.


I'm very pleased with the centering, corners and quality of the foil stamping on this one. Some that I have seen have the foil rubbing off.

Wilkerson came to the Cubs in the same deal that sent Rafael Palmeiro and Jamie Moyer to the Rangers prior to the 1989 season. The Cubs also got Mitch Williams as part of that deal. By the time this card came out, Wilkerson had already moved on to the Pirates.

Last year, Wilkerson was the manager of the independent team Fort Worth Cats where his son Brandon is a pitcher. However, after a quick look, it seems the team has replaced him with former Cubs skipper Jim Essian so I'm not sure where Wilkerson will spend the 2013 season.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I remember Jim Essian as a White Sox player but totally forgot he managed the Cubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Desert Shield cards are hard to get and there were many different types of forgeries for this set and yes I have a couple of them. Still need 6 to complete my set. I do not but these on ebay!!!

    ReplyDelete