Wednesday, April 17, 2013

ATCRCS: Autograph Edition - Dwight Smith

Today, I have another signed ATCRCS card back from the same Spring Training help I mentioned last week. Dwight Smith Sr. was helping out with the Toronto Blue Jays minor league camp because his son (Dwight Smith Jr.) is in their system.

Dwight Smith came up through the Cubs system and replaced Rafael Palmeiro as the left fielder in 1989. He finished a distant second in the Rookie of the Year voting to teammate Jerome Walton despite more home runs, RBIs and a higher batting average and WAR. But he also put quite a bit of distance between himself and the third place finisher, pre-season favorite (and Topps Future Star) Gregg Jefferies in the voting.


I sent in my ATCRCS card and the 1991 Topps Desert Shield but the helper was only able to get the one done. In my note, I mentioned that if there was only the opportunity to get one signed, I would prefer the custom card. I figured there's probably a signed version of the Desert Shield card out there somewhere I could buy if needed but the ATCRCS is a one of a kind.


This is the 44th ATCRCS card to be signed for my collection. I'm very happy to add this Boy of Zimmer to my collection!

1 comment: