Saturday, December 29, 2012

Closing Out the 2012 Team Set

With 2013 coming up quickly, I figured I would go ahead and finish off the 2012 Team Set. Once the season ended, motivation on getting these done slowed to a halt. I've been fiddling around with some designs for the 2013 versions but nothing is set in stone yet.

James Rowson, Interim Hitting Coach
James Rowson was named the Interim Hitting Coach following the the dismissal of Rudy Jaramillo in June. The interim tag was removed in October making Rowson the official Hitting Coach heading into 2013. Does this photo scream, "What have I gotten myself into?!?" to anybody else?

Alex Hinshaw
Alex Hinshaw was the last remaining player I need to complete the set. Thus, every player who made an appearance in a game for the Cubs has a card made. All franchise record 53 of them. The Cubs claimed him off waivers from the San Diego Padres in late August. In his first appearance, he induced a fielder's choice that allowed a run to score. In his second appearance, he started the 9th inning with a walk, a single and back-to-back-to-back home runs before being pulled. So his two appearances netted 1/3 of an inning and 5 runs on 4 hits.

Hinshaw was promptly DFA'd, cleared waivers and was a free agent at the end of the season. He has since been picked up by the Toronto Blue Jays. This photo was the least horrible of my options and I will probably have to reuse it when I get around to making the ATCRCS version of his card. That will need some serious spinning for the blurb. According to the caption, this is his reaction after giving up the 3rd consecutive home run.


Last, but not least, we have the Len Kasper & Bob Brenly card. Seeing as they've been together since 2004, this was a surprisingly tough card to find a photo for. This is the only card from the set not to feature a photo taken in 2012. Oh well.

I've heard mixed reviews about this duo over the years but I, for one, enjoyed them. I just wish they would go back to showing more games on WGN so I can watch them down here in Virginia. I've also heard good things about Jim Deshaies (Brenly's replacement for next season) so bring on 2013!

I am still in search of usable photos for former hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo, bullpen coach Lester Strode and bullpen catcher Andrew Lane. I have the posed Photo Day photos for Jaramillo and Strode but they're vertical rather than horizontal and that's almost cheating anyway.

I hoped you enjoyed seeing this set progress as much as I enjoyed making them.

No comments:

Post a Comment