Friday, February 16, 2018

First Look at 2018 Topps Now


Yesterday, I picked up some of the Yu Darvish card that Topps Now put out.


This card is #OS-94, meaning the 94th card Topps Now put out in the Off-Season. That's a little ridiculous. Topps is figuratively printing money. By comparison, there were "only" 48 off-season cards in 2016.

Unless there is another big free agent signing soon, that should just about put the bow on the 2017 set. In fact, when I was on the Topps website, I noticed they started pre-selling the 2018 Road to Opening Day team sets.


I like the concept of these sets and this year's design looks pretty sharp. I'll be curious to see if they add the date somewhere on the front like they have done the past two years. It looks like this will already be the second Darvish card with the Cubs.

The price point (like all Topps Now) is the biggest drawback. The standard 15-card set for each team is $49.99, cheaper if you buy in bulk. For 14 of the teams, there is also an option to get the team set with a random autographed card from the set. Pricing for these vary by team and there is no bulk discount for those sets. I saw that the Angels set runs $399.99, presumably because of the chance for an Shohei Ohtani autograph. Mike Trout is also an option, but so is Justin Upton. That's some serious rolling the dice.

The Cubs set with a random autograph is $99.99, down from $119.99 last year. Possible autographs include Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Ian Happ, Willson Contreras and Javier Baez. Not really any duds there, but no Darvish either. Last year had Bryant, Baez, Jason Heyward and Wade Davis. Comparatively, I would say this year is a bargain with the player changes and price drop.

Another drawback from last year's set was the full checklist wasn't available before the purchase deadline. Hopefully, Topps gets that fixed this year. Right now, the few teams I looked at had at least a couple of names, mostly the players they have confirmed will sign the autographed cards.

To make these prices a little more attractive, Topps has been offering the opportunity to earn free "bonus" cards if your team accomplishes certain feats.

Last year's Opening Day sets would give you a free card if someone on your team hit for the cycle, a pitcher threw a no-hitter or perfect game, or your team was in first place at the All-Star Break. This year has those same criteria and have also added a 15-strikeout game or 3 Home Run game from someone on your team. The Players Weekend sets offered a bonus card if your team had a six-game winning streak between sometime in August and the end of the season.

Some of the sets held their value better, while others found a decent ROI on bonus cards and the autographs. I've more or less been all in for Cubs cards from both years of Topps Now so I'll probably pick up a set of these too. I don't know if I'll pull the trigger on an autograph though.

Any other buyers out there?

2 comments:

  1. Cool writeup.
    This stuff isn't for me though. I can be pretty impulsive but a lot of this instant gratification stuff isn't exactly my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, this year's autos for the Cubs are much better than 2017... and the set is twenty bucks cheaper? That's odd.
    I just checked out the Angels' auto set: Ohtani, Trout, Upton AND Troy Scribner. I hope the ratio of the autos isn't something like 1:1:3:6, respectively. I've never even heard of Troy Scribner.
    I like how they have some of the checklist up, but I didn't buy last year because they never posted the full thing. Like you, I hope they post it before they stop selling the product.

    ReplyDelete