Thursday, February 8, 2018

One Card Team Set - 2017 Topps On Demand Rookie Class

The Cubs have had several big name, young studs the past couple of years which has been making team collecting a little bit tougher on the wallet. Last year was a little bit different as Ian Happ was pretty much the only big, new guy on cardboard. Sorry, Rob Zastryzny, but I think you might have had more cards than pitches thrown in 2017.

I know I showed a Happ card yesterday, but he is also the subject of today's One Card Team Set, the 2017 Topps On Demand Rookie Class. Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown gave a really thorough review of the whole set in this post so I won't rehash it here.

I comtemplated buying the whole set, but managed to control my spending and picked up just the two cards I wanted on eBay, the Happ and an Ivy card that'll show up on the blog eventually.


The card design itself has gotten some pretty good reviews. A lot of nostalgia there for the collectors my age with some early 90's touches.

PHOENIX, AZ - AUGUST 13: Chicago Cubs center fielder Ian Happ (8) hits a solo home run in the eighth inning the MLB baseball game between the Chicago Cubs and the Arizona Diamondbacks on August 13 2017, at Chase Field in Phoenix, AZ. The Cubs defeated the Diamondbacks 7-2. (Photo by Carlos Herrera/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
The source photo comes from a game against the Diamondbacks on August 13, 2017. Happ came off the bench with a pinch hit home run in the 8th inning. Just prior to that, Javier Baez had just gone deep himself for a three-run shot. This was Happ's 15th home run of the season and finished his rookie season with 24.


Those numbers may seem a little paltry compared to the eventual ROY winners, but I'll take that from a guy that also managed to start games at five different positions as a rookie, as noted on the back of the card.

Nice looking card all around, wish it wasn't part of my Once Card Team Set feature.

2 comments:

  1. That definitely reminds me of '87 Donruss and '90 Topps - I like it! Too bad that design wasn't used for a bigger set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I definitely see the '90 Topps there!

    ReplyDelete