Tuesday, February 6, 2018

IVY: 2001 Topps Post #5 Greg Maddux

I have almost 500 cards in the Ivy collection and need to whittle down some of the numbers where I have duplicates for the Frankenset. I want to make sure each card gets its due so I've decided that over the course of a month or so, I will sprinkle in individual posts. When I have exhausted what I have for each binder page, I'll post which ones made the cut. Once I have a full page, I'll add a tab up top where you can view each page. I have multiple representatives for many of the first 99 numbers (11 full pages) which should get me through all of 2017.

I've been falling a bit behind on these Ivy posts, but today is my third and final (so far) #5 card, 2001 Topps Post Greg Maddux.


This cereal box prize set consisted of 18 cards, so not every team was represented. The Yankees of course, had two cards. The Cubs have zero and none of the other cards featured Ivy, making this a one and done for the collection.

I'm very partial to Greg Maddux as he played a lot of his career in Chicago. Despite more success as part of the incredible Braves rotation of the 90's, Maddux choose to go logo-less on his Hall of Fame plaque hat. I think that speaks to the respect he has for his time with both organizations.

The Ivy does not make a good showing here. If, in fact, there is any Ivy at all. The vines are there but this has to be a real early season game for it to be that brown and leafless.


Heading over to Baseball-Reference, we see that Maddux pitched in two games against the Cubs in 2000, both at Wrigley Field. Just based on the dates, I would say this is probably from the April 13th game that the Cubs won 3-2. Maddux didn't get a decision despite allowing two runs in seven innings of work.


The Cubs would walk-off with an RBI single by Jose Nieves. Those lead off base runners do come back to bite, don't they? This brought the Cubs record up to 5-6 and dropped the Braves to 4-5 on the young season. I think you'd have to real a die hard Cubs fan to remember a lineup that included Shane Andrews, Jeff Reed, Damon Buford and Jose Nieves.

Even though the Ivy should be growing in by the time that May 29th game rolled around, let's take a look at that 1-0 shutout. Did Maddux throw a "Maddux"?


Not quite. He did throw a shutout, but the other qualifier is throwing fewer than 100 pitches. Maddux tallied 111 on this day. Look at this pitcher's duel though! Maddux gave up 6 hits, but still improved to 7-1. The Cubs starter, Jon Lieber gave up a lead off walk, but held the Braves hitless until a two-out home run by Andres Galarraga in the 7th inning for the game's only run.


As you can see, the teams' paths had also diverged since that April series with the Braves leading the NL East and the Cubs anchoring the NL Central at this point.


I'm glad Maddux played nearly half his career with the Cubs because he pretty much owned them when he was on the other side. 


In Wrigley Field over his career, he was a little more pedestrian but still above average. This counts his time both with the Cubs and as an opponent. Compare that to his time in the two Atlanta Stadiums, but remember that was more of his prime:



That's a lot of double digit home Win totals, but I guess it is to be expected when you win at least 15 games for 17 straight years.


This is one of several non-Cubs Greg Maddux I have with Ivy in the background but as I mentioned earlier, this is the only card from this particular set that shows Ivy.

No comments:

Post a Comment