Thursday, February 22, 2018

To Scratch or Not To Scratch?

While picking up my parallels and inserts that weren't included in my basic Cubs team set, I also picked up the three Home Run Challenge cards that featured Cubs players.


The two usual suspects, Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo were included.


As was catcher, Willson Contreras.

Three cards from one team in a 50-card set may seem like a bit of overkill to non-Cubs fans. But the reality is that the Cubs tied a record last year with six players that hit 20 home runs. For all I know, and I'll admit I'm too lazy to confirm, Topps just picked the 50 guys with the most home runs last year.

*EDIT* Never mind, scratch that theory. Contreras only hit 21. Kyle Schwarber, Ian Happ and Javier Baez all had more home runs, just on the Cubs.


The back side of the card has a scratch off area which provides you a code. You go to the Topps website, enter your code and select the date you think your player will hit a home run. If they do, you win a prize. Apparently it is a parallel of the card you pull and there will be different parallels for each month. All entries, win or lose, are put into a drawing for a monthly prize.

I like the idea of this contest. I'd love it even more if these were a one-per-pack pull. Seriously, what would it cost Topps to print out extra parallels for the winners? Maybe it's just me but I feel like this would engage a lot of customers. Get them to your website. Buy more packs to try and pull more. Cards (different players?) will also be found in Series 2 and Allen & Ginter.

When I picked these cards up, I didn't really have any intention to scratch them. But now...I'm leaning towards it. I'm sure there will be unscatched ones available in packs for years to come, long after the time to redeem them has passed.

What are you doing with yours?

5 comments:

  1. Tough call. I didn't land one of these in all the packs I opened which I'm fine with as this removes the dilemma from my shoulders! I'll look forward to learning what you decide to do (and good luck if you scratch!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would scratch them, but I like it better when they aren't scratch cards, like the Power Players insert a couple of years ago. It was just a code on the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pulled one of Harper and I think I'm gonna scratch it. It enters you in different contest to win Topps items and if your player does hit a homer, you automatically win a parallel of the card. Then again, if you'd like to save these 3 Cubs and try to pull them in future products that's not a bad idea. Keep in mind they are relatively tough pulls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pulled a Bryce and planning to scratch.

    ReplyDelete