Friday, June 15, 2012

2012 Topps Pro Debut Breakdown

Hobby Box 2012 Topps Pro Debut
I discovered Pro Debut last year when I was looking for some cards of players on our local minor league team, the Potomac Nationals. There weren't many considering they're a Single A team but I had run across a few in Bowman, Pro Debut and Heritage Minors (which came out too late to get any autographed last year). I picked up a few Carolina League player lots on ebay and a card show. I ended up with about 15-20 different cards signed from the set by the end of the season.

When I pre-ordered the Topps Series 2 boxes a couple of weeks ago I thought about doing a group break for Pro Debut as well but figured it would be a big hassle trying to figure out all the affiliations. I picked up 2 hobby boxes hoping to get a complete set.

Bryce Harper Base Card
I did end up getting a complete set, plus 126/220 towards a second set. No triplicates between the boxes. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the extras yet, whether I'll send them out TTM to get signed or trade them.

There are numbered-to-50 Gold Parallel cards that have about a 1:20 packs ratio and I pulled one in each box.
Brennan May, Dayton Dragons
Tyler Collins, Connecticut Tigers

There is also a 50 card All-Star insert set that have a 1:3 packs ratio. I pulled the 16 I was supposed to get with no duplicates.







 Each box also was supposed to have 2 autographs and 2 relics and I did get 4 of each.

Zach Cone, Spokane Indians

Charlie Tilson, Johnson City Cardinals
Matt Lipka, Rome Braves
Kevin Mattison, Jacksonville Suns
Grant Green, Midland Rockhounds

You may have noticed that I missed a few pictures with my inserts. I didn't, I was just saving them. I've never heard of this guy, but after these boxes, I'm hoping he hits it big! Here is my instant Joe Panik collection:


Base card, All-Star Insert and Autograph


Jersey card, Manufactured Hat Logo card (1:90) 

After a little research, it appears Joe was the San Francisco Giants' 1st Round Draft pick in 2011, 29th overall. These cards feature him with the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes although he has since moved up to the San Jose Giants. Although I don't necessarily have a new favorite player, I do have somebody new to keep an eye on. Good luck Joe!

I did pull a few future Cubs base cards but didn't see any inserts. Once I find a good checklist, I'll do a followup post featuring these guys.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen a post of so many players I've never heard of. I was unaware of this set, but I was just thinking today about minor league cards. I'll be heading out this weekend (hopefully) to catch a Round Rock Express game (Rangers AAA), and hoping to make a trip this summer to watch the San Antonio Missions (Padres AA). The only minor league cards I remember hearing of before were from the early 90s (I think they were called "Pro Set" or something like that).

    Joe Panik is an awesome name, even though he's a Giant (ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have that Charlie Tilson auto. I'll email you so that we can talk about getting another trade going.

    ReplyDelete