Thursday, June 21, 2012

I'm crazy...

I have no statistical evidence to back up anything I'm about to say.

I know how bad the Cubs are. But for some reason I like this team. Not just the Cubs. The 2012 Cubs. I know, I know. I'm crazy.

I understand the need for free agency but I have always been partial to homegrown talent. Granted, my favorite player, Ryne Sandberg, wasn't homegrown but he was with the team for a long time. I recently started following Minor League baseball a lot more closely and I want these guys to succeed.


The Starlin Castros. The Darwin Barneys. The Tony Campanas. The Jeff Samardzijas. I think they can have a core group of perennial All-Stars in the very near future and maybe even be a powerhouse as these guys mature. If they don't sell off the team for pieces in the meantime. There's a great group of guys waiting in the wings too. I really think so. I know, I know. I'm crazy. Blinded. 


And this may be even crazier still, but I want to see Castro and Barney become the next Sandberg and Dunston. 


Kessinger and Beckert.


 Maybe even the next Trammell and Whitaker. 


And Tony Campana is just exciting to watch. 


Beats out ground balls to 2nd base? Really? Awesome.


2 comments:

  1. I think you may be a little overly optimistic but I do like Barney and Campana. And DeJesus and Reed. I even like Alfonso personally. Love the Demp. But the team as a whole just doesn't win. The changes are coming soon. Who knows who''l be left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm crazy! I wasn't real fond of Aramis or Pena so when they left I wasn't torn. Soriano can be brilliant or the worst on any given day. But everybody else, I feel like is a good guy. Maybe I'm just too old and miss the days where teams played a core group together for years at a time.

      Delete