Sunday, April 1, 2018

Celebrating the Curly W!

I'm finally ready to make the conversion. I've lived in Virginia off and on for the past twenty years and have been able to watch the Washington Nationals since they moved to town.


There were some lean years, which led to back-to-back #1 overall draft picks (for the first time ever, since duplicated by the Astros). But as a former Cubs fan, I know all about disappointment. Now that the Cubs have turned the corner and are on the verge of becoming a dynasty, its time to go back to rooting for an underdog. For me, that's the hometown Washington Nationals.

I might lose a few followers but this blog will be slowly converting to a Nationals themed blog.

Making this change in fandom should save me a ton of money. Cubs cards cost a premium.


When Harper leaves, there won't be any expensive Nationals cards anymore. If/when he joins the Cubs next year, a Cubs team set will cost a car payment.


Ryan Zimmerman plays the role of the solid veteran.


Daniel Murphy has been a Cubs killer since his Mets days.


They have some good, young guys making names for themselves in Victor Robles and speedster Trea Turner.


And Max Scherzer is set up nicely for yet another Cy Young. 

Chicago is 1500 miles away and the Cubs only come here for one series per year. No more boring car trips and a mortgage payment for tickets to a stadium older than my grandparents. I won't have to refinance my house for playoff tickets.

I can cancel my MLB.TV subscription because all of the games are broadcast locally.

The Nats are hosting the All-Star game this year.

They are a perennial contender but the NL East is terrible right now so I won't have to worry about nail biting September games for division supremacy. The brewers are formidable!

The Nats are still undefeated in 2018 so it's time to jump on this bandwagon now!

Who is with me?!?!




Happy Easter everybody (and April Fools Day) 😛


EDIT: Adding my temporary banner here because it is going back to Cubs!

9 comments:

  1. I know this is an April Fool's joke because no one would ever think of joining the Nats bandwagon when they're about to lose Bryce Harper to the Dodgers and also end up being the team that couldn't win one playoff series during the time they had Harper and Strasburg at their respective peaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but that's nothing compared to what the Cubs have gone through over the years though!

      Delete
    2. Well if nothing else this post will look even funnier next year when Harper signs with the Cubs.

      Delete
  2. Sadly as soon as I saw the Nats I knew it was a joke. You can't fool a Nats fan like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough, but as long as they aren't playing the Cubs, I do root for some of the guys.

      Delete
  3. The Cubs have already done the impossible, there's nothing else to root for.

    If I were you I'd jump to the Nats. They're the only franchise that has never won a playoff series. Don't you want to be on board when they make history?

    No? I don't blame you. I'm sticking with my Red Sox, after all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to root for an underdog, but I'll take the Cubs in win mode every time!

      Delete
  4. After today's poor performance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that weekend series against what is thought to be a minor league team was rough. But maybe it helped lend a little credibility to this April Fool's joke!

      Delete