Sunday, April 22, 2018

Repack Sunday

I'm short on time today but it's been a few days since my last post. Let's get back on track here with a 30-count repack from the dollar store.


The rookie Kyle Phillips was the top card in the pack and the only one I could see. Phillips played five game for the blue Jays in 2009 and 36 more for the Padres in 2011. The only rookie, he gets paired up with the only Hall of Famer in the pack, John Smoltz.


A pair of horizontal Stadium Clubs are always a nice find. Max Scherzer does double duty as the newest card in the pack from 2017. The Scherzer will make a fine addition to an incidental, burgeoning Nats collection as well.


Like a radio station playing hits from the 80's, 90's and today, I pulled this trio of Cubs. Former Cubs manager Joe Amalfitano was also the oldest card in the pack, from 1981 Donruss. The Ryan Norwood card might actually be new to the Cubs collection as it comes from that time period I didn't collect much. 


Speaking of Cubs, we have a pair of future ones in Luis Gonzalez and Sammy Sosa. And I suspect Luis Gonzalez may even be at Wrigley Field which means a partial Cubs cameo at catcher.


An appearance by 1991 Fleer just because it got some hate on witter recently. Mark Whiten is probably best known for hitting four home runs in one game and one of just two players with 12 RBI in a game.


Bringing up the rear is an oddball Minor League card. Are Just cards considered oddball? I know they were the main Minor League card then, but doesn't it just being a Minor League card make it an oddball? 

Anyway, the Ottawa Lynx were a Triple A team from 1993-2007 and were affiliates of the Expos, Orioles and Phillies. The ownership group moved them to Allentown, PA where they became known as the Lehigh Valley IronPigs in 2008. Jeremy Powell made 35 appearance for the Expos between 1998-2000 with a record of 5-16 and 5.84 ERA. He signed as a free agent with the Padres but then bounce around the JPPL and JPCL a bit before a brief US return with the Pirates minor league system in 2009-10.

2 comments:

  1. Solid repack, I'd say you got your dollar's worth with Scherzer, Sosa, Smoltz, and a Gonzo 93 Leaf (you didn't show us the back!) I must confess my disdain for 1991 Fleer - but hard hittin' Mark Whiten almost makes that card bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I usually chalk the dollar up to the entertainment value of ripping a pack but I think I came out ahead here. Add in the needed Cubs card and this was definitely a winner.

      Delete