Sunday, April 15, 2018

Repack Sunday

It's been over a month since I did one of these, what with my pack ripping itch being scratched by my Opening Day case. I've also been doing a lot of scanning and cropping with the collection so it was hard to motivate myself to get that done on repack cards. With these cards below I tried a free app that was new to me called CamScanner. I read about it somewhere as an alternative for scanning the shiny cards without getting the refracted rainbow, but can't for the life of me remember to give proper credit.

The think the picture quality came out fine. I find the cropping feature to be a little more precise but a lot of cards don't lay perfectly flat, making it tough to have a great crop. And since a lot of the early chrome and other shiny cards have some curvature to them, I'm not sure how often I'll use the app.


First up is the Dioner Navarro out of 2010 Topps. He was the visible card in the pack and as a former Cub (and otherwise slim pickings from the rack) is the reason I picked the pack. The legibility of his name on the card is much better compared to what would should up on a scan, I think.


The other former/future Cubs in the pack were Frank DiPino and Joe Niekro. No current Cubs. Sad trombone.


Though down on the farm, Mariano Duncan is the current hitting coach for the Cubs' high-A affiliate, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.


The newest card in the box was this 2016 Topps Chrome Alex Gordon. Decent job scanning through the app, though it seems a little dark.


Oldest card in the box was a 1983 Mickey Hatcher. You can see how the curve in this card affects the crop down at the bottom. If I used a scanner, I could flatten it better.


Charlie Kerfeld hot pack!


A trio of the era's best shortstops. Ozzie's got some hops and the ump is in the background chillin' like Ozzie is just being Ozzie.


1989 Upper Deck was a hot topic in the Twitter world recently. Seems to be a very polarizing set! Hall of Famer Dave Winfield represented here.


Another Hall of Famer in Bill Mazeroski on this pretty cool horizontal card. Walking it off before that was a thing.


I've never really been a fan of sketch cards or art cards. Props to the artists because they are more talented than me, but they just aren't my thing. Diamond Kings and these early Collector's Choice checklist cards are the rare exceptions. 

2 comments: