Monday, April 23, 2018

Mailday Monday

Light mail week as I was content with my card show pick ups. Organizing those kept me offline more than usual.


My "big" purchase of the week was near complete sets of 1998 and 2000 Opening Day. The 1998 set was only short #87 Gary Sheffield and  #127 Roger Clemens and cost me $2.11 plus shipping. If anybody has either of those cards and is willing to move them, let me know.


The 1998 set yielded some fun shots like this Vladimir Guerrero. The darker backgrounds around the names were harder to read on the scans.


Compare the legibility to this fun Brian Jordan card.


It also led me to a new Ivy card to track down another of with this Derek Bell.


The 2000 set was just missing #91 Miguel Tejada, something I coincidentally already had. I must have pulled it from a repack somewhere along the way. That "set" ran me $.99 and just a little bit more with combined shipping from the same seller.

In a cheap plug, I'll be showing off all of these and tying them into my other blog over the next few weeks. If you haven't checked it out yet, please do!

On a side note, does anybody have any spare Opening Day sets from 2001-2010, 2015-2017? I'm looking to add those in the meantime. I can swap a full one of the 2018 set or something else.


The only other pickup this week was a Missing Blackplate parallel from this year's Gypsy Queen of Jose Quintana. This marks my fifth version of this card and 20th different Jose Quintana card from 2018 that meets the "I Was There" criteria. Add in the 21 cards from 2017 and I have 41 different Jose Quintana cards that have ties to one game in July in Baltimore last year. Crazy.

4 comments:

  1. That Brian Jordan card is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't collecting in 1998 so most non-Cubs cards were new to me in this set. There were easily a dozen cards I could have shown off here, but I'll be saving them for the other Opening Day themed blog.

      Delete
  2. Not a full set but I've got about 3/4 of the 2010 set available to trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Vlad is one of my favorites of his... and I have a lot of Vlad to compare to. Well done.

    ReplyDelete