Saturday, March 15, 2014

1991 Topps Desert Shield Lance Dickson

First off, I wanted to thank everybody for their enthusiasm and responses to my new side project yesterday. I’m not sure I can call it a “mini” collection since there are probably thousands of cards that will fit the criteria so I’ll stick with side project and/or niche collection. If you missed it, go back and check it out. I found two new blogs to follow because of that post and also rediscovered a few I thought I was following, but wasn't. Out of sight, out of mind, but I’m glad to have found them again.

Now to the meat and potatoes of this post, an actual mini collection that I’m trying to wrap up this year. After this one, I’m down to my final eight, five of which will probably cost at least double digits.


Lance Dickson came up right around the time when there were approximately 1.3 billion sets. The Big Three of Topps, Donruss and Fleer were joined by Score and Upper Deck and all of the spinoff sets that those companies could produce. I’m sure it happened before, but this is around the time I remember it starting to become a common occurrence. With all of the rookie prospecting that has gone on, it is more prevalent than ever.

And that is, Lance Dickson has more different cards (at least 20 pro cards, a bunch more minors/prospects type sets) than Major League games played (3). I have to figure (without any kind of research to back it up) the guys that played only a handful of games generally don’t get as many cards as the guys who were top prospects, got a bunch of cards, but flamed out before ever even reaching the show. Maybe I’m making that up. I don’t know.


Dickson made his MLB debut just months after being a first round draft pick for the Cubs, but had a few setbacks due to injuries. He currently has his own mortgage company out in Arizona.


2 comments:

  1. Is this card rare are expensive ?? Because if so I have one !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not particularly. Some cards from this set can be, but this one can be had for a few bucks, if that.

      Delete