Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Gift of Heritage

My wife generally toes the indifference line when it comes to my collection. She won’t tag along to a card show but she doesn’t give me crap about my collection either. But it still surprised me when she came home from the store the other day and tossed a rack pack of 2014 Heritage my way. She said she hadn’t seen these before and knew I was saving “my” money for the card show (and maybe recovering my hard drive) so she picked one up for me. Nice! I love opening packs.

A lot of bloggers are going gaga over the set, which is fine with me. I don’t have any kind of attachment to the original set but I can see why people like it. Personally, I prefer action shots but since poses and head shots are kind of the hallmark of a set like Heritage, it doesn’t bother me. I also like to collects autographs and a nonglossy set like Heritage is perfect for that. Except for those previous mentioned head shots. Look at the Shin-Soo Choo or Zack Wheeler cards below as an example. They’d have to sign right over their face like they’re Steve Stone or something. So aside from the Cubs and the Ryne Sandberg card, I won’t be chasing anything else.

Without further ado, here are the twenty cards from my pack.

Ross Detwiler, Edward Mujica, Ross Ohlendorf
Wade Miley, Shin-Soo Choo, Chase Headley
Jim Johnson, Rickie Weeks, Zack Wheeler
Corey Hart, Mike Zunino, Nate Eovaldi
Chris Johnson, Jimmy Rollins, Yoenis Cespedes
Ethan Martin, Cameron Rupp, Buddy Boshers, Matt Shoemaker
New Age Performer Carlos Gonzalez
Ernie Banks Flashbacks
Logan Watkins, Abraham Almonte
I am definitely quite pleased that 10% of my cards were Cubs. And to get two that wouldn’t necessarily be included in a standard team set (an insert and a dual team rookie) is even better.

Those two cards have been added to my 2014 Cubs tab up above. And aside from the other two horizontal rookie cards, the others are up from grabs. I know, the base cards aren't a real exciting giveaway, but if you’re putting together the set, they could help someone.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job snagging the Banks and Watkins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is if I let my wife pick my packs, I'd probably end up with a lot less of them!

      Delete