Friday, March 28, 2014

500

Just as Robert is about to hit 1000 posts over $30 a Week Habit, I realized I too was approaching a milestone. If I recall correctly, Robert was my first official follower here at Once a Cub and was also involved in one of my first trades as a member of the blogosphere. Here I am now, almost two years later and this is post #500 for me. And don't forget Robert's brand new blog, Just Another Hockey (Card) Blogcheck it out now!

I try to post just about every day but a couple of extended breaks brings my average down to just above 5 posts per week. Still not too shabby. At the time, I didn't know if there was room for another Cubs specific blog but Ive been made to feel most welcome. So much so that I recently expanded into a second blog myself.

Thanks to everybody who follows one or both of my blogs. I know the cool thing to say is I don’t care how many views or comments a post gets and I write this for myself, blah blah blah. But in reality, I love getting a comment notification email or seeing a new follower pop up every once in a while.

I’m trying to get better about that myself. I've been chiming in a little more lately instead of lurking and I just sent out a bunch of emails the past few days asking for addresses or confirming old ones with previous trade partners. A couple of you I couldn't find emails for in your profiles so be on the lookout for comments on your blog. If you feel overlooked, maybe I haven’t found your blog yet, so drop me a line and let me know you’re out there!

It seems a little silly for me to have another contest so soon after I just had one so I’m going to wait a little closer to my actual two year blog-aversary next month. But since I  know a lot of you just like to look at the pretty pictures and skip past the words, here’s the closest thing I could find to tie in to 500.

Asterisk or not, the only two players with 500+ home runs as a Cub

More specifically, a little less controversial, here's an Ernie Banks piece.


Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks hit 512 home runs during his career. Maybe I should have saved this for post #512?

Somebody a little more knowledgeable than me might be able to speak to the distribution but I believe these were gas station (Unocal) giveaways back in the Chicago area in the mid 1980’s. They are printed on 8 ½ x 11 magazine-type glossy paper. I have several in the series but I’m not sure exactly how many there are. This one was signed a couple years back and just recently resurfaced among my belongings. The back has a long blurb that you should be able to click on to enlarge and read the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on 500!! Nothing to sneeze at for sure. I'll see you at 1000---and then some

    ReplyDelete