Thursday, June 12, 2014

Logan Watkins

I finally went back and updated the ATCRCS page so that it currently shows every ATCRCS card I've gotten signed so far, with the exception of the two or three left in my draft folder. I've neglected this set for a while. Every time I do one of these posts it gets me motivated to make more cards but for one reason or another I get distracted. Life, amiright?


Logan Watkins has been steadily making his way through the Cubs minor league system since being drafted in the 21st round of the 2008 draft.


I don't know how it's supposed to work but jumping up a level every year seems like a good progression. But I also think if you're doing a good job, you might see an end of season bump up to the next level, which Watkins didn't see until reaching the Bigs in an August call up last season. I guess if you're going to get that late season bump, AAA to the Majors is the time to do it!

Watkins got into 27 games last year, most of them as a pinch hitter but did get 5 complete games under his belt. Unfortunately for him, he plays second base which was locked up by reigning Gold Glove Award winner Darwin Barney last year. Fast forward to this year and the position is a little more interchangeable with Barney, Emilio Bonifacio and Luis Valbuena.

I don't know what this says about his future with the organization but it appears they are trying to find a spot for him in Iowa. With Arismendy Alcantara taking the bulk of the innings at second this season, Watkins has moved around quite a bit, especially in the outfield.


The column in the chart above reflects the number of games played at the position in the column before. He's tried everything but pitching and catching.

This ATCRCS card was signed with some help from an SCN member during Spring Training this year and brings the total to 107.

No comments:

Post a Comment