Wednesday, February 27, 2013

2013 Topps Anthony Rizzo

As I've done previously, I'm taking a closer look at the 2013 Topps Cubs team set card by card.

As the title says, today's topic is Anthony Rizzo, card #44. This is the 6th and final single player base card for the Cubs in Series 1 (but not the last one I'll be doing).


This is a pretty sharp card. Rizzo looks like he just hit a bomb. You can clearly see his face and his name on the back of his jersey. Home pinstripes. And a nice little trophy in the bottom left corner. The last Cubs player with the Topps All-Star Rookie trophy was Starlin Castro in 2010 (depicted on his 2011 Topps Series 2 card). The last Cubs first baseman with the trophy was Mark Grace in 1988 (seen on his 1989 Topps card).
Starlin Castro and good ol' # 53

Photo by Jonathan Daniel, courtesy of Getty Images
The original image is a full length shot but I'm happy with the way Topps cropped it. According to the caption, Rizzo is watching his extra-inning, walkoff two-run home run against the St. Louis Cardinals on July 29, 2012. He joins teammate Darwin Barney, who is also celebrating a walkoff home run on his card this year.

Not only did the Cubs win in extra innings, but Rizzo had a nice day overall, going 3-4 with a walk. Of the six Cubs base cards in Series 1, the Cubs went 5-1 in the games featured. I think the Cubs should be offering free admission to all Getty photographers for 2013...
This card is #44 in the set and Anthony Rizzo also wears #44 on his jersey. Nice!

The Career Chase statistic is Hank Aaron's career RBI record of 2,297. I fully expect Rizzo to drive in way more than 48 runs in future seasons because at that pace, it would take 48 seasons to reach Aaron's record. That really puts some of these career records into perspective!

2 comments:

  1. Man, I remember that Grace card. It was the jewel of my collection in the late 80's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably had a dozen of them with the way I bought 1989 Topps. I remember begging and begging my dad to spot me some money to buy a 1988 Topps Traded Grace though.

      Delete