Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2017 Topps Holiday Box

Yesterday I mentioned that I had picked up a box of 2017 Topps Holiday on a whim while also out to get milk. I'm trying to get back in the groove of posting so just a quick post today with the results from the first five packs.

Pack 1:

Khris Davis, A's
Jacob deGrom, Mets
Giancalo Stanton, Marlins
Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
Joe Mauer, Twins
Adam Jones, Orioles
Trevor Story, Rockies
Kris Bryant, Cubs
Anthony Rizzo, Cubs
Jose Berrios, Twins

Pack 2:
Tyler Austin, Yankees RC
Kole Calhoun, Angels
Andrew McCutchen, Pirates
Kevin Gausman, Orioles
Jose Altuve, Astros Snowflake Parallel
Brandon Crawford, Giants
Adrian Beltre, Rangers
Byron Buxton, Twins
Adam Duvall, Reds
Hanley Ramirez, Red Sox

Pack 3:
Johnny Cueto, Giants
Carson Fulmer, White Sox RC
Seung-Hwan Oh, Cardinals
Francisco Lindor, Indians
Michael Pineda, Yankees Snowflake Parallel
Eric Skoglund, Royals RC
Ryan Braun, Brewers
Evan Longoria, Rays
Jose DeLeon, Rays
Yulieski Gurriel, Astros RC

Pack 4:
Alex Wood, Dodgers
Ian Kinsler, Tigers
Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
Alex Bregman, Astros RC
Trea Turner, Nationals
Edwin Encarnacion, Indians
Addison Russell, Cubs
Luke Weaver, Cardinals RC
Jake Thornton, Phillies RC
Jordan Montgomery, Yankees RC

Pack 5:
Ender Inciarte, Braves
Wil Myers, Padres
Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks
Jameson Taillon, Pirates
Aaron Judge, Yankees RC
Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals
Jason Heyward, Cubs
Craig Kimbrel, Braves
Rougned Odoro, Rangers
Matt Carpenter, Cardinals

My first impression is that this is not a bad start to the box. Four Cubs, a Judge RC and two of the snowflake parallels that fall every other pack. But on the other hand, I picked up a Cubs team set already so I don't really need any of these.

I think the Snowflake Parallels (what they are called on the pack) are what they are calling Metallic elsewhere? To me, it just looks like a bit of glitter in the corners. Neat, but meh. And that's my first Aaron Judge card. Also neat, but meh.

So far, I'm running about a 3 on the buyer's remorse scale. Probably closer to a 6-7 if I had paid the full $20. There's still a bit of optimism for the second half of the box.

Part two will be later this week.

5 comments:

  1. If you aren't planning on completing the set, I could really use that Andrew McCutchen. Email me bstryker81@gmail.com if interested in working a trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done.

      If anybody else wants something from this batch or the next, let me know.

      Delete
  2. I suppose I would take any Dodgers. I'm as ho-hum about these cards as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. Haven't moved since the last time I sent something? Several years ago...

      Delete