Monday, January 15, 2018

IVY: 2003 Fleer Focus Jersey Edition #3 Trevor Hoffman

I have almost 500 cards in the Ivy collection and need to whittle down some of the numbers where I have duplicates for the Frankenset. I want to make sure each card gets its due so I've decided that over the course of a month or so, I will sprinkle in individual posts. When I have exhausted what I have for each binder page, I'll post which ones made the cut. Once I have a full page, I'll add a tab up top where you can view each page. I have multiple representatives for many of the first 99 numbers (11 full pages) which should get me through all of 2017.

As with #2 the other day, #3 has no competition so far for the Ivy Frankenset. I haven't been following the Hall of Fame polling results too closely but I believe former career Saves leader Trevor Hoffman is trending favorably? As in, if not this year, then inevitably?


Today's card comes out of 2003 Fleer Focus Jersey Edition. That's a mouthful. I was out of the hobby at this time so I have no idea what that means and why this isn't a relic card with a name like that. i imagine there's a jersey parallel? It isn't an unpleasant card by any means but because the brand and set are both represented elsewhere in the Ivy collection, card #2 already being a Padres closer, and other Hoffman options later on, I don't see this one sticking around if another #3 shows up.


The photo used on the card is too generic to get a specific date, though the Padres played just three games at Wrigley in 2002. Hoffman pitched in all three, earning Saves in the first two games.


The third time was the charm for the Cubs as both bullpens faltered in a battle of two terrible teams on August 1, 2002. Hoffman got the loss by serving up a 2-run, walk-off double to Alex Gonzlez.


Hoffman never earned the W at Wrigley in his career, finishing up 0-4 with 21 Saves in 32 appearances. That's actually understandable in this era of rare multi-inning outings from a closer as they generally get the Save or take the Loss on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment