Wednesday, January 10, 2018

2017 Topps New Era - Cubs

In yesterday's post I talked a little about the 32-card set that Topps and New Era partnered to distribute in 2017. I knew about it from last year (when I posted a one-card "team set") but recently rediscovered the set while researching the undercover Dexter Fowler cards, and of course the mystery photoshopped Fowler card.

As I mentioned yesterday, each team was represented, while the Cubs and Red Sox got a second card. Let's get back to some Cubs cards, shall we?

The two Cubs cards came from different sources but as part of larger purchases. What can I say, I'm a sucker for maximizing shipping costs. Each one interested me for different reasons. Let's start with card #8, Kris Bryant.


When I first saw this card, I was a tad disappointed. Selfishly, I admit.

You see, most of the reigning World Series champions have been wearing some version of the gold accented jerseys for their home openers for last 10-12 years. And back when the Cubs wore the gold name and number jerseys last April, I thought those would be a fantastic SP photo variation opportunity for Topps. I actually started a blog post to remind me about them for when Series 1 came around in 2018. And if Topps didn't act on it, I was going to custom create my own, probably using their own template from their website when the 2018 version popped up. Maybe even do an April Fool's post claiming I pulled an SSSSSSSP variation.

And all that was ruined because Topps jumped the gun and used a 2017 photo on a 2017 card. Oh well. And actually, this card is probably lowkey enough I still probably could have pulled it off. Oh well, again! 

With that said, I mostly like the card. The crop is weird, but I like the angle of being able to see the gold on the back. Definitely makes this one for the World Series collection. And of course, the photo was probably chosen because you can clearly see the New Era logo on Bryant's cap.

Speaking of which, you also get a good view of the logo on the next card, #9 Kyle Schwarber.


This card seems very familiar, and not because it is essentially the same shot as the Fowler...


Oh, that's why. Seeing as I didn't pick up very many 2017 Cubs cards, I easily remembered one of the few that I did. The Topps Now card above is from the Road to Opening Day set. And as you can see from this version, there's a nice big AZ Spring Training patch on his sleeve. It has eerily disappeared on the New Era card, much like the #42 Dexter Fowler sported on yesterday's New Era card.

In addition to the 32-card flagship based design, Topps also dipped their toes even further into the 1987 pool and had another 18 cards in that template. Again, the Cubs pulled double duty, landing two more cards.



The Ryne Sandberg card used the same photo as the insert from the flagship set. The main difference is the 30th Anniversay logo is white instead of foil, similar to what is done with Opening Day. The New Era cards are much slicker/glossier.



The backs are the same except for the number. There is no mention of New Era on these at all.


Topps used a different photo for the Greg Maddux All-Star card. New Era is on the left, flagship insert on the right. But like the Sandberg, the backs are the same aside from the numbering.

Kyle Schwarber is allegedly one of the 11 players to have a relic card that is limited to 99 copies, but I have yet to see one.

We need more oddballs like these. As much as the pizza was "meh" I was disappointed that Topps didn't re-partner with Wal-Mart for the Marketside set again.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I would have liked to have seen Topps use Marketside again or reach out to other retailers.
    Got your PWE today... post going up soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete