Sunday, January 21, 2018

Repack Sunday

In preparation for my trip this weekend, I went to my local dollar store. I had never really hit up their "card" selection before because from a distance it looked like stickers and other non-sports packs. This time however they had a couple of boxes full of 30-card baseball card repacks. I've seen the 20-card packs but only heard through the grapevine about the 30-carders.

Before my blogging hiatus I used to do Repack Sunday so I thought I'd reinstitute that. I like ripping packs but rarely do anymore because of my collection focus. Repacks are good cheap fun and can be a trip down memory lane so I picked up a couple.

In my old posts, I would throw out some superlatives like oldest and newest, any Cubs ties and any other notable thing I could think of. I'll keep that format. Let's see how I faired.


This 2016 Topps Chrome card of Marcus Stroman was the cover card and the only one in the pack I could see. It was also the newest card in the pack.


Conversely, this 1981 Fleer card of Terry Forster was the oldest card in the pack. Maybe Panini can find some warmup jacket photos. Although if you photoshop out the hat logo, that's just somebody's Uncle Terry chilling on the couch.


I only got one Cubs card, which I guess would be the average for a 30-card pack and 30-team league. I had this Jeff Blauser already but maybe I can put this aside and figure out what's going on in the card when I have more time.


Although just one Cub, there were a couple more with Cubs ties. Jon Lester is currently a Cub and this card highlights his no-hitter from May 19, 2008. Manny Corpas was a Rockie, then Cub, then back to the Rockies. Last season he was in an independent league. Steve Buechele is the first base coach for the Rangers and "Legendary Lloyd" McClendon is the hitting coach for the Tigers.


The coolest looking card in the pack is this Jordan Schafer card from 2014. I've long contemplated a mini collection of these leaping player cards but I've got a bit too much to organize right now to start something new.


I wouldn't classify the above two as oddballs, but they aren't exactly commonly found either. The Pedroia is out of a 55-card World Baseball Classic box set. Too bad the bottom right corner is dinged (as with several in the pack).

The only reason I've heard of Dugout Axcess is because I have run across them in my Ivy card search. There are also kind of flimsy compared to most cards.


The "worst" card in this pack belongs to this Will Clark highlight card. I opened a lot of 1990 Fleer back in the day but I don't remember this one. Maybe it's selective memory. The caption mentions Clark powering the Giants into the 1989 World Series. Most Cubs fan know that the Giants beat the Cubs to advance to the Series in 1989 and sure enough the back talks about the NLCS. Blech.


This Bobby Bonilla card wins the award for Card I'd Most Liked to Have Owned When It Was Released. This may have been a dollar card (or more) back in the day, but is now relegated to repacks. I know he bounced around a lot in his career but I will probably always think of him as a Pirate first. And then because of his ridiculous contract that pays him for another 17 years, a Met. Considering the dinged corners on many of the other cards this one is surprisingly really nice. This centering is very slightly off but otherwise a great card.

The rest of the pack were base cards out of flagships sets. A couple more 1990 Fleer, some 1987 Topps, etc. Overall, for a buck, I'm happy with the pack. No keepers, but I got a blog post out of it and maybe a second with the Blauser.

No comments:

Post a Comment