Friday, October 25, 2013

Bob Scanlan

I didn't really think about it at the start of the week but it came together nicely. After showing Keith Moreland on Monday and Steve Stone on Wednesday, I realized I had another former Cub-turned-announcer in Bob Scanlan.


Scanlan was drafted out of high school by the Phillies in 1984. He worked his way up the minor league system but didn't make his Major League debut until 1991, when the phillies traded him and Chuck McElroy to the Cubs in exchange for Mitch Williams.

Mainly used as a middle reliever, Scanlan went 14-19 with a 3.75 ERA in his Cubs tenure. That's probably better than average for the team Cubs teams he played for as he pitched three seasons in the midst of four consecutive 4th place NL East finishes.

His post-Cubs career is better summed up from his own website biography, so I'll finish up with Scanlan is currently a color analyst for radio broadcasts of San Diego Padres games.

When the ATCRCS card above was signed (with a little help from a Sportscollectors.net member), I also sent in two of his Topps cards for my collection. 


Some of you may notice a 1991 Topps card and are thinking, why didn't he send in a Desert Shield card?!? Well, that particular card is from the Topps Traded set and thus not a part of the Desert Shield set. Oh well! Still a nice trio of pickups.

The ATCRCS card marks the 90th one I've shown off here on the blog. I have about twenty more currently signed but that puts me a far cry from the goal of 200 I set at the beginning of the year. It might be a long offseason of TTM letter writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment