Tuesday, May 6, 2014

ERROR: 1988 Fleer Jody Davis & Keith Moreland

I was sorting some of my doubles from my recent Cubs lot pickups and came across some funny business. 


These are the standard Jody Davis and Keith Moreland cards from the 1988 Fleer set. These have been upgraded over time from my childhood cards but one copy or another has been in my possession for the past 25 years. In fact, my 1988 Fleer team set has probably been complete for just as long.

But then this card showed up in one of my recent lots.


I knew that set was complete so I skipped right past it on the initial sorting. The second time around though, on the detail sorting, the two different Keith Morelands were suddenly next to each other and obviously different. Maybe one came from a box bottom or some other kind of advertising? Nope.

That's where the Jody Davis comes in. The bunting "Moreland" is actually catcher Jody Davis and an error card. The batting stance Moreland is the corrected version. I thought I was up to snuff on late 1980's/early 1990's early cards, but this one slipped through the cracks.

And since I scan the fronts and backs of all of my cards, here are the backs. Despite the error on the front, the Moreland backs were the same on both cards so I just uploaded one.

No comments:

Post a Comment