Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Ivy Collection - 1989 Upper Deck #194 Rick Reuschel

I recently launched a new series I'm calling The Ivy Collection. I probably have hundreds, if not thousands of Cubs cards that feature ivy in the background, but this separate collection will focus more on visiting teams. You can find a link to the cards I already have in my collection in the right hand side bar under the Niches heading. If you come across any I don’t have, I’d love to add them to my collection.


Today I'm dipping back into the 1989 Upper Deck pool with this Rick Reuschel (#194). As a Cubs fan, I hated the 1989 San Francisco Giants. Will Clark. Kevin Mitchell. Matt Williams. And of course, former Cub, Big Daddy Rick Reuschel.

In 1988, when the photo for the front of this card was presumably taken, Reuschel started four games against the Cubs, two at Wrigley.


As you can see, not only did the Giants win all four games, but Reuschel would have four of what would become known as quality starts and get the win each time. Run support isn't just the plight of today's Cubs pitcher (I'm looking at you, Jeff Samardzija) as the Cubs scored just 8 runs in those four games.

As for the two games at Wrigley, the ivy in the photo is a little too full for an early May game, which leaves the July 19th affair.


Reuschel faced the minimum number of batters through six innings by giving up only one walk in the second but inducing a double play to get out of it.

The Cubs broke up the no-hitter in the 7th with back to back singles and a double play ball of the bat of Mark Grace plated the only Cubs run.


The only other real trouble Reuschel ran into came in the 9th when he was pulled after again giving up a pair of leadoff singles. But the Giants bullpen held up and Reuschel got the win.


The Cubs are now 0-2 (with Sutcliffe as the opposing pitcher both times). Hopefully the next one can turn this around.

No comments:

Post a Comment