Monday, May 12, 2014

Mark Prior Monday - 2004 Upper Deck Vintage Play Ball Preview

Last week when I broke down Cubs Lot #4, I mentioned a big chunk of Mark Prior cards but I didn't want to show off the nearly 200 different cards in one post. Doing one or a couple at a time will make the scanning and cropping much more manageable. Prior was a big part of the early-mid 2000's Cubs teams when I wasn't collecting so most of the inserts/subsets were new to my collection. I really enjoy learning about sets that I had ever heard of or knew very little about.

In 2004, Upper Deck, among other companies still had a license for making cards and today's set is Upper Deck Vintage. The set consisted of a total of 500 cards, broken down into 300 base and 150 cards short printed across seven subsets. I say subsets instead of inserts because they are continuously numbered to 500.

Mark Prior was coming off an All-Star season that saw him come in third in Cy Young voting (behind Eric Gagne and Jason Schmidt). This particular card is from the Play Ball Preview subset (301-315).


I'm not sure how this a preview because all of the Play Ball cards from 2004 I've seen, look like this:


Maybe since its from 2004, its a preview of 2005? Well, I couldn't find anything about 2005 Play Ball, so I think they were a one and done set.

The first 350 cards in Upper Deck Vintage year (which included the 15-card Play Ball Preview set) also had black and white parallel versions. 


The backs are identical so the only difference is that the front is entirely black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment